Historic Brownsville

       
 

Brownsville Northside Historic District: one of the oldest standing commercial and residential districts west of the Alleghenies encompassing Market, Front and Church Streets; the district contains numerous historic structures, many of which are antebellum. Front Street, fomerly the Nemacolin Trail, is lined with many late 18th and early 19th century buildings. Principal architectural styles in the district are vernacular versions of the Federal, Greek and Colonial Revival. Italianate, Gothic Revival and Craftsman bungalow are secondary.

The first and last meeting of the Whiskey Rebellion were held at the Blackhorse Tavern located on Front Street. Walking and driving tours available. National Register Site.

Historic Church of St. Peter built in 1845, an example of Gothic Revival architecture of hand hewn, locally quarried stone. Stained glass windows which have 32 different shades of blue relate the ecclesiastical history of the Catholic Church since 1754. A side alter window contains over 120 pieces of glass per square foot, In anticipation of the church becoming a cathedral, a burial crypt was built beneath the floor. Shaffner and Church Streets. Tours available, 724-785-7781. National Register Site.

Christ Episcopal Church built 1859 of cut sandstone with a steeply pitched state roof, the church features stained glass tracery windows, stone buttresses and a crenelated bell tower. Prominent historic figures of Brownsville including Thomas Brown, founder of the town, Jacob Bowman, who established the first trading post and Nemacolin Castle, are buried here. Church Street.

First United Methodist Church. The original stone church was built in 1804; present brick church built in 1861. Church Street.

Nemacolin Castle was built near the site of Old Fort Burd in 1789 as a frontier trading post, it later became the historic home of the Jacob Bowman family. Tours begin in the frontier trading post built in 1789 and continue through the early and mid 1800's additions including an elegant Victorian wing. The 22 rooms, furnished with antique furniture and household items typical of the period represent architectural trends and family living of the past two centuries. Between Front and Brashear Streets overlooking the Monongahela River. Open Tuesday through Sunday, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Weekends Easter through mid-October. Call 724-785-6882. Admission Fee. National Register Site.

Brownsville Downtown Commercial Historic District "The Neck" extends from Albany Road to Arch Street and contains numerous structures including the Flatiron Building, built circa 1835 and undergoing preservation/renovation to be used as an interpretive center for the National Road Heritage Park, Steel Industry Heritage Park, and the History of Brownsville.

Dunlap's Creek Bridge Dedicated July 4, 1839 and heralded as the first cast iron bridge built in the United States, it is still in use today with no weight restrictions. This bridge has received five historical and engineering awards. Route 40, National Road, over Dunlap's Creek. National Register Site.

Public Wharf From this location the steamboat "Enterprise", built by Daniel French and piloted by Captain Henry M. Shreve, departed in 1814 for Pittsburgh and on to New Orleans. This steamboat was the first to make this trip and return to Pittsburgh under its own power. This wharf was used extensively by packet boats in the 1800's and early 1900's. Although some of the wharf is visible, plans for complete restoration are underway. Located at Bank Street on the Monongahela River.

 

   

 

 

 

 

         
 

The Flatiron Building Heritage Center
69 Market St
Brownsville, PA 15417

724-785-9331

www.brownsvilleborough.com/home/

 

     
         
 

Directions From the Inne at watsons Choice
Follow Denney Rd, Stoney Point Rd and Haddenville Rd to US-40 W in Menallen Township 7 min (3.7 mi)
Head east on Balsinger Rd/Old State Rte 21 toward S&T Dr 0.2 mi
Turn left onto Denney Rd 1.0 mi
Slight right to stay on Denney Rd 0.2 mi
Continue onto Stoney Point Rd 1.1 mi
Turn right onto Haddenville Rd 1.3 mi
Follow US-40 W to Market St in Brownsville 13 min (8.9 mi)
Turn left onto US-40 W 5.9 mi
Turn right to stay on US-40 W 3.0 mi
Drive to Market St 48 s (0.3 mi)
Turn right onto Market St 240 ft
Turn left toward Market St 0.1 mi
Continue onto Market St Destination will be on the right 0.1 mi
69 Market St Brownsville, PA 15417

Google Map

     
         
  While you're in the area, you might check out these attractions.

Flatiron Building Heritage Center
Historic Brownsville
Nemacolin Castle
Dunlap's Creek Bridge
Thompson House - old mansion converted to restaurant and shops

 


     
         
         
         
         
   

   
   
234 Balsinger Road
Village of Balsinger
Uniontown, Pa 15401
 
724-437-4999
or
1-888-820-5380
 
 

Bill and Nancy Ross
Inn Keepers

   

 

Home Inne GuestroomsHarvest House RoomsCottagesDriving DirectionsReservations & Policies Packages & SpecialsGift IdeasFood & DiningThings To DoTourist GuideRelax and EnjoyWedding Packages & Specials

 
© 2014 Inne At Watson's Choice