Dawson is a quaint little village along the Youghiogheny River
that saw its peak during the heyday of the Coal
and Coke Era. Here you can get a glimpse of the opulence
of the Coal and Coke Era by visiting the former residences of
coal barons, including that of "Little Jim Cochran," now a bed and
breakfast. "Little Jim" was the pioneer and prototype of all the
coal and coke barons. Along with a brother and uncle, he made the
first commercial sale of coke outside this region, floating two
boatloads down the rivers to Cincinnati in 1843 and selling it for
seven cents a bushel. He developed mines and cokeyards in his native
Dawson area and became the largest operator of the early boom times
when he built the Washington Run (Star junction) mine with 999 coke
ovens. He was the father of Philip Cochran, whose wife Sarah built
Linden Hall and the Philip G. Cochran
Memorial Methodist Church. Tours daily 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. phone 724-529-2368.
Main and Railroad Streets.
National Bank Historic Room A collection of photos and maps of
Dawson area from the turn of the century until the present. Located
in Bank and open to visitors daily 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Phone 529-2933.
Main Street (Route 819).
Cochran House 12-room Victorian Style house being refurbished for
use as a Bed and Breakfast Inn. Former home of James Cochran's brother,
William. Reservations only. Tours available. Phone 724-529-2726
or 724-438-8711. Railroad and Griscom Streets.
G. Cochran Memorial Methodist Church Built in 1927 at a cost of
about $325,000 in memory of Phillip and James Cochran, this gothic
sanctuary and social auditorium, made of Beaver and Indiana County
limestone, features hand made tile in the nave, stained glass windows
by Henry Hunt, a copy of the Sistine Madonna by L. Sturn, and a
pipe organ especially designed for it. It is a National Register
site. Howell and Griscom Streets.